Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Stories I've Recently Told

Some of my recent conversations have been (tonight was Idol so there's a lot about that in there):


  • There is no room for stage moms at American Idol! What the hell is that about?! They should not be allowed to have contact with the "performers" during business hours. It's like having a choreographer or coach there.


  • I really like the red head kid (Brett Loewenstern) on Idol. He spoke a lot about being bullied on his initial audition and singing was his thing. You know everyone has a thing. I'm glad he's made it this far and I'm always happy to see an underdog doing well.


  • A frequent conversation I've had is the struggle of going from being a two income couple to a one income couple. It's difficult, and I hate feeling like I need to depend on someone. My husband has done an amazing job paying the bills but I feel a bit guilty and we have made a lot of cut backs.


  • Yesterday, when discussing the American dream, I told the story of a man I worked with at my last job. He is from the country of Guatemala and he left his home land about eight years ago. He had a daughter who was eight years old. He has not seen her since. They talk daily but he has been here in America working for the past eight years and sending money back home where the money is building them their new home. His daughter is now 16 and when we spoke last he was planning on leaving this year to finally be back with his family where they would live in their home that is now complete.


  • Fortunoff used to be my favorite store to shop in. It closed down right after my bridal shower and it was such a mess. They had a great selection of home things and jewelry. Now they only have a back yard store open and it sucks because I live in an apartment and have no use for a out door furniture store. Boooooo!


  • My friend in Florida said they've been reaching 80 degrees this week. She said she is taking the kids to the zoo, I think that's great, especially since I had to climb an iceberg to sit on a bench on campus today. I can't wait for the weather to get nicer so that we can do outdoors things again. We're going to plan a softball game and invite all our friends as soon as the snow/ice mess is gone. Anyone up for a game??


  • Suicide has become an epidemic. There are so many young people taking their lives. It seems every day there is another article in the paper about a young adult/teen taking their own life. There aren't enough resources to make people know there is help and most of the time there aren't any programs until after someone has taken their life. As a community and as part of a society we need to be accountable and help do something to stop this growing epidemic.


  • There was a kid at school today who had his ass and boxers hanging out of his pants. My first thought was eww that looks so dumb, and then I realized he came out of the classroom I was going in. Then, all I could think about was, "I hope I'm not sitting in his seat."

      5 Stories I'd Like to Write 
    • A husband and wife buy a old house as their first home.  It is a fixer upper and while they are doing construction on the home they come across an album of old postcards.  The postcards give the couple a glimpse of what has happened over the years in that old house.
    • Two sisters have a pretty close relationship.  They do everything together.  Their family is small and consists of just the two of them and their mother.  One day while the two girls are at the beach the one of the sisters drowns.
    • George is a special boy.  He has special needs but his heart is golden.  One day, on a class trip to the pumpkin patch George picks out a green lopsided pumpkin.  Everyone else walked past it but he picked it out as the most beautiful pumpkin.
    • In an effort to not be alone for another Christmas a young woman takes a vacation to New York, a city with so many people you could never be alone.  She sees all the landmarks and city sights but still finds herself alone and jaded.  One stop, Rockefeller Center, inspires her to write a letter that will change millions of people.
    • An elderly couple who have been married for 55 years live together in the home they raised their children.  They were immigrants who came here with very little so their home never felt too big for the two of them.  Months after celebrating their  55th wedding anniversary the husband falls ill, and eventually passes away.  The wife doesn't know how she will go on without him, but soon it becomes clear she wont have to.
  • 1 comment:

    1. I hope you didn't sit in his seat, too.

      Try to make your "like to write" stories a little more specific. A drama about a marriage where the couple realize they don't know each other? A children's story about going to the Jersey Shore? That sort of thing....

      ReplyDelete